- Mirror Pond Pale Ale: Mirror Pond Pale Ale is the quintessential northwest pale ale. Cascade hops and more Cascade hops give this tawny colored ale delicious hop-forward aroma and flavor. Pale malt allows the hops to linger, not overpower.
- Black Butte Porter: This is the beer that started it all. A rich, creamy mouthfeel complements a layered depth, revealing distinctive chocolate and coffee notes. Full of flavor, yet easy to drink.
- Hop Slice Session IPA: A trio of hops come together in this crisp session IPA. Brewed with Meyer lemon, Hop Slice balances floral hop notes and a subtle citrus kick.
- Armory XPA: This experimental pale ale was the first beer brewed at the Deschutes Brewery Portland Pub. This XPA gets its bitter twist from Nugget and Northern Brewer hops, then delivers a pronounced citrus kick from Cascade, Centennial and Citra hops. Consider this your next hop obsession.
Categories: Portland Beer Week
Join Hopworks Urban Brewery for a special happy hour with a side of pinball!
Portland’s organic brewery Hopworks pairs nicely with a game or three of pinball, and tonight you’ll be able to enjoy select Hopworks brews with a chance to compete for cash, Hopworks & Ground Kontrol gift cards, and more!
On draft at the bar, a special beer that’s worth the wait:
- Barrel-Aged Army of Darkness Imperial Stout – Army of Darkness emerges from the Hopworks cellar after 9 months in Bourbon Barrels. What was once a roasty, fruity, warming stout has become chocolatey and smooth. Caramel and vanilla dominate the nose, while the Bourbon barrels impart and mildly drying finish. Big, black and bold all around, this beer embodies darkness in the best way possible.
If you prefer something lighter, especially while you’re locked in battle against billions of points and a formidable foe, we’ll also have a cooler full of cold tallboys:
- HUB Lager – An all malt American craft lager with a delicate honey malt body, classic herbal hop notes and a clean, dry finish.
- Rise Up Red India Red Ale – A full-bodied India Red Ale that’s mahogany in color, smooth, made with certified organic barley, and packed to the rafters with a blend of NW hops.
- HUB Cider – The brand-new semi-dry hard apple cider that’s straw colored with fresh apple aromas. Slightly tart with a Champagne-like acidity, HUB Hard Cider finishes slightly sweet and fruit-forward.
Enjoy happy hour prices on Hopworks selections beginning at 5. Hang out and grab some casual games of pinball, but if you want to step it up and compete, enter the Flip City Pinball Tournament beginning at 7pm with a $5 buy-in. The top winners will walk away with cash, Hopworks and Ground Kontrol gift cards, and more!
WHAT: Hopworks Happy Hour Pinball Tournament
WHEN: Tuesday June 16. Hopworks Happy Hour begins at 5pm, Flip City Pinball Tournament begins at 7.
COVER: No cover, but if you want to play in the Flip City Pinball Tournament it’s a $5 buy-in. 21+ only.
One of Oregon’s most popular breweries combines with one of Ground Kontrol’s most popular games for a unique event – the Oakshire Brewing Killer Queen Happy Hour!
First, try select beers from the award-winning brewery. Available at the bar, while they last:
- Hopollo 7 – This well balanced, deep golden to orange colored Northwest IPA begins with a big fruity melon and citrus nose and follows with ripples of mild pine forest. The firm bitterness and fruity hop flavors carry the middle and then has a long and drawn out ending with a medium spicy finish.
- Watershed IPA – A Northwest style India Pale Ale highlights the flavors and aromas of our region’s best hops. Crisp, dry and refreshing, this dry hopped IPA is smooth and easy to drink.
- Oakshire Amber – Oakshire’s amber ale holds a special place in their hearts as the first beer they ever crafted. A delicious balance between malt & hops creates a sessionable brew enjoyable throughout the seasons.
- Overcast Espresso Stout – Gray skies are a regular part of life in Western Oregon. Overcast Espresso Stout is a dark, silky oatmeal stout that is rich, smooth and full of coffee flavor and aroma—quite nice on a gray or sunny day!
Then, check out the world’s only 10-player arcade game, Killer Queen, in our lounge! This game’s hard to find and harder to miss – two giant cabinets support 5 players each (with drink holders for your beer, of course). Teams compete as worker bees, warriors and Queens battling it out to be the first to collect the most pollen, decimate the opposing Queen three times, or ride the snail to their base. It’s one of the best multiplayer experiences we’ve ever seen in arcades! Sign up for a double-elimination, best-of-5 tournament and you could win Oakshire Brewing and Ground Kontrol gift cards along with Oakshire growlers, pints, patches and pins! Tournament sign-ups take place 5-8pm, and the first game kicks off at 8.
Continue your Portland Beer Week with tasty beer and friendly competition, thanks to Oakshire Brewing!
WHAT: Oakshire Brewing Killer Queen Happy Hour
WHEN: Monday June 15, starting at 5pm. Killer Queen Tournament kicks off at 8pm!
COVER: No cover! Free to sign up and play in the Killer Queen Tournament at 8, too. 21+ only.
Head down to Ground Kontrol to not only drink delicious beer by Laurelwood, but challenge their brewers to an arcade game or pinball table of your choice. With a huge selection of classics ranging from Ms. Pac-Man to Mario Kart and the biggest & best pinball selection in the Pacific Northwest, you’re sure to find your specialty! If you best the brewer, you’ll win Laurelwood prizes!
We’ll have some special selections available at the bar to enjoy before, after or during your brewer battle! Buy a Laurelwood and you’ll get a raffle ticket that will put you in the running for a grand prize: a pair of Laurelwood’s Portland Timbers tickets!
- Piston Pale Ale – A pale ale with a bit of a hoppy punch to keep you on your toes, as well as pleasant citrus (think grapefruit) and pine notes.
- Gose the Gozerian – Laurelwood’s take on the classic beer style that originated in Leipzig, Germany! Gozerian gets its tart, lemony flavor from the Lactobacillus bacteria (say that three times fast) used to acidify the beer. This bacteria is very similar to those found in yogurt or sauerkraut. That tartness is balanced by coriander and salt’s savoriness thanks to Portland’s Jacobsen Sea Salt, who extracts their product from the Oregon Coast! Gose the Gozerian can be best described as hazy, light, refreshing, and very sessionable… Just in time for summer.
- Workhorse IPA – An extremely well-balanced yet flavorful IPA with a heavy handed dose of hops in the kettle, hop back, and 2 separate dry-hop additions. A slightly sweet finish helps balance the hop bitterness and creates an ale that is both big on flavor yet remains quite drinkable.
With three excellent Laurelwood beers available at the beer (while they last!), everyone will walk away a winner – but only those that beat the brewers will walk away with fabulous prizes!
WHAT: Portland Beer Week: Beat the Brewers with Laurelwood Brewing
WHEN: Wednesday, June 17, 5-8pm.
COVER: No cover! 21+ only.
Ninkasi Brewing takes over Ground Kontrol during Portland Beer Week with a lineup sure to attract a horde of craft beer fans! A special Ninkasi Happy Hour with three of their best beers on draft with a raffle for killer prizes leads right into one of Ground Kontrol’s most popular events, Rock Band x Ground Kontrol!
On draft at the bar, while it lasts:
- Dawn of the Red – an India Red Ale bursting with notes of mango, papaya and pineapple, this beer finishes juicy with a subtle malty backbone.
- Maiden The Shade – a summer-style IPA with a big, robust hop character from the liberal use of seven different hop varieties. It’s completed with a light-colored malt backbone to stay in balance.
- Total Domination – a big flavorful Northwest IPA that maintains its drinkability.
Buy a Ninkasi and, for a limited time, they’ll hook you up with quarters to get you started! Don’t forget to grab a raffle ticket, too – they’re giving away Dawn of the Red foam hands and limited vinyl plus lots of other great Ninkasi swag. Want an extra chance to win? Stick around for Rock Band x Ground Kontrol at 8pm (full band karaoke with over 3500+ songs) and every person that signs up to play will get an extra raffle ticket!
Bang your head and raise your horns for tasty beer and heavy tunes at Ninkasi’s Dawn of the Red Pint Night!
WHAT: Portland Beer Week: Dawn of the Red Pint Night with Ninkasi Brewing
WHEN: Sunday June 14, 5-8pm. Stick around for Rock Band x Ground Kontrol starting at 8!
COVER: No cover! It’s $1 to register for Rock Band x Ground Kontrol and $1 per song. 21+ only.
We’re partnering with Ninkasi Brewing to bring you the extremely limited, extremely delicious Barrel-Aged Sleigh’r Dark Doüble Alt Ale along with the summer favorite IPA, Maiden the Shade!
These beers pair perfectly with classic metal tracks like Slayer’s “Raining Blood” or Iron Maiden’s “Run To The Hills”, which will be available to play along with thousands of other songs in Ground Kontrol’s massive Rock Band library!
Once these beers are tapped, they won’t last long, so get down here early to get your fill and put in a song request for Rock Band Tuesday. It’s just $1 to register and $1 per song!
WHAT: Ninkasi Presents SLEIGH’R Rock Band
WHEN: Tuesday June 10, 8pm-late
Come to Ground Kontrol for a special Portland Beer Week event with Oakshire Brewing!
Oakshire’s inviting you to compete in several arcade game tournaments to win Oakshire swag and Ground Kontrol credit!
Pac-Man, NBA Jam, Mario Kart Arcade GP 2, and Pac-Man Battle Royale will all be featured. Choose one or more than one, just be ready to show your skills. Toast your wins or ease your pain with special Oakshire brews available in cans and on draft tonight only!
Sign-ups start at 7pm, and we’ll kick off tournaments as we reach enough players for each game. We’ll hold raffle giveaways, too, so everyone has a chance to win!
WHAT: Oakshire Brewing Arcade Tournament – part of Portland Beer Week
WHEN: Thursday, 6/5 – Starts at 7pm.
COVER: No cover! 21+ only.
Spin the wheel and climb the high score board during the Ninkasi Brewing High Score Contest! We’ll host several high score challenges during this Portland Beer Week event, and each session’s game will be chosen at random by a spin of the wheel.
Will you need to master the mazes of Ms. Pac-Man, or traverse through TRON’s trials? Put your quarter up and find out! We’ll run regular challenges from 8-11pm, and you just need to sign up before the next round begins. The top high scores will walk away with Ninkasi swag and Ground Kontrol gift certificates.
During the event, power up with specials on Ninkasi beer! We’ll be serving Ninkasi brews not usually offered at Ground Kontrol.
WHAT: Ninkasi’s High Score Contest
WHEN: Sunday June 16, starting at 8pm.
COST: Free! 21+ only.
Oakshire Brewing invades Rock Band Tuesdays! Our typically awesome weekly full-band karaoke night gets turned up to 22 with specials on Oakshire Brewing bombers and pints on draft. Enter a raffle for Oakshire prizes – just grab a free ticket from Oakshire staff. Sign up for Rock Band and get an extra chance to win! It all kicks off at 9pm, so get down here and bring your band!
WHAT: Rock Out With Oakshire Brewing – Rock Band Tuesdays with Oakshire Brewing Giveaways
WHEN: Tuesday June 11, 9pm-11pm
COST: First raffle entry is FREE! Earn a bonus raffle entry by signing up for Rock Band – $1 to sign up, $1 to request a song. 21+ only.
Ground Kontrol is participating in Portland Beer Week for the first time this year. Our debut event is a special FREE pinball tournament with Hopworks Urban Brewery!
Want to win awesome Hopworks stuff and gift certificates to your favorite arcade/bar?
Ground Kontrol is hosting a special Portland Beer Week three-strike knockout tournament in our pinball lounge for multiball marvels that enjoy pairing world-class organic beer with classic pinball. Come down between 5-7pm to sign up, but don’t delay – limited spots are available! If you don’t want to compete, you can still enjoy specials on Hopworks beer during the event and flip for fun!
Special thanks to Brackelope for running the tournament with their awesome software!
WHAT: Hopworks Pinball Tournament
WHEN: Sunday June 10. Sign up between 5-7pm – find Isaac from Brackelope upstairs in the west side of the pinball lounge. Tournament starts shortly after 7!
COST: FREE! 21+ only.